Trust In The Lord - Proverbs 3:5,6

Trust in the Lord with all your hear and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways ackowledge him, and he will make your path straight. (NIV)

Friday, January 5, 2007

Friday - Skating

Todays post will be a memory from my childhood. As I thought of having taken my children skating yesterday, I remembered my memories of when I went skating as a child. I went skating every Friday evening(if it worked for my parents), but I do remember spending a lot of time at the ice rink on a Friday. Living close to a small town with an indoor ice rink that had pleasure skating every Friday and Sunday; plus having the chance to be with some friends I took the chose to go skating. I still enjoy skating which is a healthy thing. I had to pay to get in to skate, which sometimes I believe was hard for me if there was not the money for it. I remember skating with friends from town or anyone that did come into town for skating. Once I tried to do some sort of flip and I hit my head on the ice which hurt a lot. I was ok. Then there was doing the crack the whip with a scarf, which can be dangerous, which I am glad no one ever got hurt. With enjoying skating there was even a skate-a-thon, where you had to be on the ice for 12 or 24 hours. I did one skate-a-thon and stayed on the ice for 12 hours, which I have prof for, cause I got a trophy for it. My brother who was 9 years older then me did the skate-a-thong four different years, which got him four trophies. Now that my brother is with the Lord (which has been 28 years ago), I still have one of those trophies to remember him by. Now as an adult and still enjoying skating I have even gotten into watching every figure skating program that I can possible watch. Plus now as a mother I can also watch my children skate and enjoy the sport. Fridays in my mind will always be one of memories skating or spending time with friends in the winter. May you have a sport or event that will hold a lot of memories for you and may you be blessed from them, as I am with this memory. God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of fond memories of skating - because it reminds my of my earthly father...He did 16 years ago at the age 52...
Thank you for sharing your memories of your brother ...